Welcome to Koffee Break, Season 2. Episode1
So excited to begin this journey with you this year. My 1st guest is Rebecca Smith, Designer Account Executive from The Sherwin-Williams Company. She received her Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing from Fordham University & has devoted the last 7 years of her career with the Sherwin-Williams Company. She is responsible for supporting the residential Design Community with color tools and designer resources. She informs industry professionals on products, conducts CEU classes and is an active member of the community
In this episode we discuss
- 1) Reason why we paint in the 1st place.
- 2) The different kinds of sheens & the uses for each.
- 3) The different kinds of paints in the market & what do they do.
I have noticed that some people are afraid of paint. But you dont have to be. Paint can be your best friend when it comes to decorating. Paint is the most affordable way to change the entire feel & mood of the room.
1) Lets start with the basics- Why do we paint in the 1st place?
Paints protects the substrate or surface (interior or exterior) from deterioration, abrasion, uv rays, moisture & other environmental conditions that we may not even be aware of.
The colors we choose can help us provide different aesthetics & brings long lasting durabilty.
2) Quick look at the sheens – Most brands of paint come in several sheens, and both latex and oil-based paints are available in different sheen levels. Flat to high gloss. Typically high gloss surfaces are easier to keep clean. But they show every imperfection. Flat paints or a matt finish covers really well. Shows less imperfections on the walls. Most common use is on ceilings. They reflect less light. I generally like to use a satin or a semi gloss on the walls & high gloss on the trims & moldings. It gives me a little bit of contrast & focus is drawn to the architectural elements in the room.
We also talk about prepping the walls in order for the paint to stick well & give us the best results. Do you want to learn from my mistake? When my son was little he had the habit of drawing on the walls with crayons. After all he saw mom painting walls & he tried to do the same. lol. Because of laziness, I decided to try & paint over that with the primer & found out it doesnt work.
3) Different kinds of paints-
Emerald Paints provides coating that is washable & cleanable even in a true flat finish.
Paint Shield– This is the 1st EPS registeredcrobicidal paint. kills 99% of the bacteria & lasts upto 4 years.
Harmony– This kind of paint improves indoor air quality, reduces formaldehyde in the room as it has an odor reducing technology.
Pro Classic– This is your best bet when painting cabinetry, repainting furniture.
Sketch pad paint– You can now turn any wall space into your own dry erase board.