I met a client of mine recently. She is having another baby. Theirs is a growing family. They have a tiny nursery. She asked me what is “1 must have” piece that I would recommend for a nursery?
I said it would be an ottoman. Now, I have already been to their home several times when I redid their kitchen. She already had a nice comfy chair which she got when she was pregnant with her 1st baby. They also had a crib.
The word ottomane to refer to furniture appeared at least as early as 1729 in French. The ottoman was brought to Europe from the Ottoman Empire in the late 18th century.
In the Ottoman Empire itself, an ottoman was the central piece of family seating and was piled with cushions.
In Europe, the ottoman was first designed as a piece of fitted furniture that wrapped around three walls of a room. The ottoman evolved into a smaller version that fit into the corner of a room.
She asked me, “Why an Ottoman?”
1) When you are feeding the baby, you can put your feet up on the ottoman
2) The ottoman is light enough you can use it in any other room for extra seating.
3) The ottoman can provide some extra storage, it becomes your ally in quick clean ups.
4) When its an upholstered piece of furniture, the baby cannot get hurt as they grow.
5) It can also act as a coffee table.
Here is a do it yourself one of a kind piece that would be perfect in a nursery. I found this on babylifestyles.com.
Here is one which I found on etsy.com. and amazon.com